Luciano Pavarotti 1935-2007


Luciano Pavarotti passed away today at the age of 71 after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Pavarotti, known as the most iconic of the "Three Tenors," was perhaps one of the best Italian opera singers of the 20th century. His performance of the aria Nessun Dorma, from Puccini's "Turandot," remains one of the most popular contemporary opera recordings ever.

Though I never got the chance to see him perform live (as a result of his ban from the Lyric Opera of Chicago because of several no-shows in the 80's), I am very familiar with his effortless high C's, which I emulated as a youngster while watching him on PBS. I would like to thank him for introducing me to an art form that would become a lifelong love of mine. Rest in peace, Luciano.

Read more about Pavarotti here: NYT ... Philadelphia Inquirer ... Time ... Chicago Trib ... London Times ... IHT ... BBC ... AP ... Telegraph ... WP ... Boston Globe ... LATimes ... SF Chronicle