An Anecdote About Outsourcing

I recently signed up for a new internet/phone package online, and when I was finished, I had some questions that were unanswered by the web site. I called the help line, and after being on hold for about a half-hour, an Indian man answered. He spoke fine English and he was very helpful. After I was satisfied that I had all the answers I needed, I prepared to write down his information, just in case I had to refer to this phone call in the future. Here is the approximate transcript of our conversation, to the best of my memory:
"Thanks for your help. One more thing -- what's your name?"

"What?" he asked, seemingly alarmed.

"You know, for my records. What's your name?"

"Nathan," he said.

"Nathan?" I responded, disbelievingly. "Your name is Nathan? What's your last name?"

"Alphonso," he said.

"Nathan Alphonso?" I paused and pondered this for a second. "Where are you, Nathan?"

Silence. I heard a faint sigh. He either thought I was trying to chat him up or he knew what was coming. "India, sir."

"Whereabouts in India, Nathan?"

"Mumbai."

"Hmmm," I said. "Is that your real name, or is it just a name they give you for identification when you talk to Americans?"

"We have names like this, too," he said. He was growing impatient, but I wanted my thirty-minutes-wait-worth.

"Really?" I said, "because I've met many Indian people and I've never known any with a name like that. But if you say so. . . "

"Yes, sir. Do you have any
other questions or concerns?" Other than about his true identity, that is.

"No, I guess that's all." I wanted to pursue this further, but I could tell he really wanted to get me off the line. "Thanks,
Nathan Alphonso. Take care."
So what's the deal? Was that really his name? Maybe the company assigns fake, Western-sounding names to these people so that Americans won't get too confused when trying to take their information. I think it's a plausible theory. But why did he deny it so vehemently??