Richard Alpert as Metaphor for the Audience of LOST

Richard Alpert freaks out because he finds out that his whole life was pointless. Jacob supposedly had a plan, and he followed it, and then Jacob died, and there was no order.   Richard then becomes nihilistic. He tries to blow himself up. Then he runs off to join Smokey. Richard is in despair.

I think this is a metaphor for Lost's audience. We all put so much effort into the series, becoming invested in the mythology, researching every easter egg and reading every literary allusion. We thought the writers had a plan for us.  We thought they knew what they were doing.  But now, as the series winds down, it's increasingly obvious that it's going to end up being one big deus ex machina.  The series is going to end up being about magic.  We're going to find out that the whole show was pointless.

So, like Richard, I am tempted to run away. I, too, want evidence of a plan. I need the writers to supply me with something like what Richard got to refuel his faith at the end of "Ab Aeterno," and quick, because I'm not going to be happy with gods and ghosts and corked up "pure evil," which is, in my opinion, no less a cop out than if the whole series were inside Hurley's psychotic mind.

Hopefully it'll be the next episode.